The mission of the Immersive Web Working Group is to help bring high-performance Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR) (collectively known as XR) to the open Web via APIs to interact with XR devices and sensors in browsers.
The Immersive Web Working Group will develop standardized APIs to provide access to input and output capabilities commonly associated with XR hardware such as Google’s Daydream, the Oculus Rift, the Samsung GearVR, the HTC Vive, and Windows Mixed Reality headsets and sensors as well as mobile handheld devices and standalone headsets such as the Oculus Go. The WG will develop APIs to enable the creation of XR web experiences that are embeddable in the Web of today, enabling progressive enhancement of existing sites.
The scope of the Immersive Web Working Group charter is to define APIs which:
- Detect available XR devices and sensors.
- Query XR devices for device-specific capabilities.
- Receive updated information about the device's position and orientation over time.
- Receive updated information about the device's environment.
- Present imagery to the device at the device's native frame rate, using the device’s position and orientation over time to provide an immersive experience.
- Provide information about XR-specific input, including tracked controller state and hand gesture.
- For augmenting reality on devices which support AR, enable XR sessions that provide real-world display, and provide the ability to hit-test surfaces in the real world.
- Status: Published
- Publication date :
- Working Groups :
- Category: Applications of information technology Information coding IT terminal and other peripheral equipment