The 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) is the primary body for developing technology specifications for cellular networks. It self-organises through its Working Groups coordinated by the Chairs of the Technical Specifications Groups (TSGs)
CT WG4 - MAP/CAMEL/GTP/BCH/SS (TSG Core Network and Terminals WG4) standardises stage 2 and stage 3 aspects within the Core Network focusing on:
- Supplementary Services.
- Basic Call Processing.
- Mobility Management within the Core Network.
- Bearer Independent Architecture.
- GPRS between network entities.
- Transcoder Free Operation.
- Generic User Profile.
- Wireless LAN - UMTS interworking and descriptions of IP Multimedia Subsystem.
CT WG4 is also responsible as a "protocol steward" for the some IP related protocols (this involves analysing, validating, extending if necessary, clarifying how they are used, specifying packages and parameter values).